Freitag, 27. Februar 2009

ConDFW 2






Convention

noun 1 a large meeting or conference. 2 a way in which something is usually done. 3 socially acceptable behaviour.

— OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY.

SciFi Convention

noun 1 a meeting of predominantly large people. 2 something that is usually done a lot here: eating. 3 the place where socially acceptable behavior goes to die.

— VIKIPEDIA.

All joking apart, the people there WERE really, really, I mean reeeally large. That is, those that weren't comically thin.

But let's start at the beginning. I've never been to a Con before. Which probably is more a function of my living quite a ways away from anywhere such exquisite events take place than of any conscious decision of mine. So when I first read about ConDFW, which was to be a very convenient 8 miles from our hotel, I wasn't sure what to expect.

The problem with being a ConVirgin (yes, they do call it that) as opposed to a virgin (no modifiers) is that you usually don't have all that much, err... secondary informational material that prepares you for the experience. Or at least I have yet to see "Barely legal - ConVirgins panelling for the first time!".

Add to that the Guests of Honor, David Weber and Jim Butcher, both of whom I've read (one book each) and felt rather meh about and a price tag of $35 and you got yourself one very double-minded Viktor. Is it really worth it to shell out 35 bucks just to see two authors I don't feel very strongly about and do... well, whatever else it is that people do at those things? It didn't help that I couldn't even have them sing my copies of their books, seeing as how there is an ocean between me and those copies right now.

Fortunately a higher power intervened to make my decision for me. The mighty Bruuuuuuust! Steven Karl Zoltán Brust, to be exact, announced he would grace ConDFW with his presence. Thus it was decided: I needed to pop my ConCherry™! No, they don't call it that, but I think it's witty.

Day 1 - Friday, 20th Feb 2009

ConDFW XIII is hosted by the Crowne Plaza Hotel and occupies the whole lobby and several adjacent large meeting rooms, as well as most rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor.

Parts of the lobby with guests trickling in, Friday afternoon.

Brust doesn't show up to his scheduled signing at 3 p.m. Nobody knows where he is.

Day 2 - Saturday, 21st Feb 2009

Brust is supposed to be on a panel at 10 a.m., so I force myself and Nico out of bed, so I can make it to the Crowne Plaza hotel before that time. Despite having enjoyed myself on Friday, I'm still anxious. Brust not showing up would definitely be a huge downer.

Nico drops me off at 9.57 a.m. I rush straight towards the panel room, almost running over a guy dressed all in leather with a funny hat.

"Hey Steve! I was waiting for you yesterday!", bubbles forth from my mouth before I've even managed to turn around to follow Steve motherf*ing Bruuuust outside again. D'oh! WTF? How is that the first thing I say to the guy?!

Lighting his smoke he says, "Really? I just got here."
We talk some while he enjoy his cigarette. It turns out he didn't even know he was scheduled for a signing on Friday and he immediately offers to sign my book after the panel.

--

At this point you might have noticed the attention grabbing hat Steve is wearing.

Comparison of brusts wiki picture, my picture, his author foto (years!)


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen